French Toast with Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
TIP: For a brighter color sauce, add one or two drops red food color, if desired.
1 cup finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
3/4 cup Land O’ Lakes® Half & Half
3 large Land O’ Lakes® Eggs, slightly beaten 1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
20 (1/2-inch) slices French bread
1/2 cup orange marmalade
3 tablespoons Land O’ Lakes® Butter, softened
• Combine rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar and water in 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Cool slightly. Stir strawberries into warm rhubarb mixture; set aside.
• Combine half & half, eggs, 1 tablespoon sugar, vanilla and salt in bowl; mix well. Set aside.
• Spread 10 slices bread with marmalade; top with remaining bread slices. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, allowing mixture to soak into bread.
• Melt 2 tablespoons butter in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 5 dipped sandwiches into skillet. Cook, turning once, 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to platter; keep warm. Melt remaining butter in skillet; cook remaining dipped sandwiches. Serve with sauce.
2 cups sliced 1/2-inch fresh rhubarb 1/3 cup sugar 1/4 cup water Butter, softened
• Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan. Cook over high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook 3-5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Cool slightly. Cover; refrigerate until serving time.
Strawberry Rhubarb Ribboned Cheesecake
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cold Land O’ Lakes® Butter, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled, chopped
2 stalks (1 cup) fresh rhubarb, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
3 large Land O’ Lakes® Eggs
• Heat oven to 400°F. Wrap outside of 9- or 10-inch springform pan with aluminum foil. Lightly grease inside of pan.
• Combine flour and 1/4 cup sugar in bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in milk until moistened.
• Press crust mixture onto bottom and 1 inch up sides of prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes; remove from oven. Cool to room temperature.
• Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. • Combine 1/3 cup sugar, water and cornstarch in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in strawberries and rhubarb. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5-7 minutes or until mixture comes to a full boil. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes or until thickened; remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
• Place cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and lemon zest in bowl; beat at medium speed until well mixed. Continue beating, adding 1 egg at a time and scraping bowl often, until just mixed.
• Spoon half of cheesecake mixture over cooled crust. Spoon half of filling over cheesecake mixture; swirl with knife. Top with remaining cheesecake mixture. Spoon remaining filling over cheesecake; swirl with knife.
• Place cheesecake onto center rack of oven. Place pan of warm water on rack below cheesecake to prevent cracking. Bake 60-70 minutes or until center is just set. (If browning too quickly, loosely cover with aluminum foil.)
• Turn off oven; open oven door 4 inches. Let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes; remove from oven.
• Loosen sides of cheesecake from pan by running knife around inside of pan. Cool in pan 2 hours. Cover; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Remove sides of pan. Store refrigerated.
Rhubarb Sour Cream Crumb Cake
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup Land O’ Lakes® Butter, softened
3 large Land O’ Lakes® Eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold Land O’ Lakes® Butter
TOPPING Land O’ Lakes® Heavy Whipping Cream, whipped, sweetened
• Heat oven to 350°F. Grease 13×9-inch baking pan; set aside.
• Combine sugar and 3/4 cup butter in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Add eggs and vanilla; continue beating until creamy.
• Place rhubarb and 1/4 cup flour in bowl; toss lightly to coat.
• Combine remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, mixing well after each addition. Stir rhubarb gently into batter. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
• Combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour and cinnamon in bowl; cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over batter. Bake 45-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
• Dollop each serving with whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional ground cinnamon, if desired.
Rhubarb Streusel Bread
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Land O’ Lakes® Butter, softened
1/3 cup orange juice
2 large Land O’ Lakes® Eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 stalks (1 1/2 cups) fresh rhubarb, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Land O’ Lakes® Butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour 8×4-inch loaf pan; set aside.
• Combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter in bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add orange juice and eggs; beat at low speed just until mixed. (Mixture will look slightly curdled.) Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Gently stir in rhubarb. (Batter will be thick.)
• Reserve 1 1/2 cups batter. Spread remaining batter into prepared pan.
• Combine all streusel ingredients in bowl; stir until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle half of streusel over batter in pan; gently press into batter. Carefully spread reserved batter into pan; top with remaining streusel. Press streusel into batter.
• Bake 65-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.
Recipes and photos courtesy of Land O’Lakes, Inc.