Refreshing Fruit Salad (packed with power foods)
2 cups baby spinach leaves
3 cups escarole
1 cup arugula dried cranberries for sprinkling sunflower seeds for sprinkling
1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup fresh raspberries
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
1/3 cup feta or blue cheese
For the dressing
2 tablespoons flavorless oil
1 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 mint leaves torn into small pieces
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
• In a large bowl combine all of the salad ingredients.
• In a separate bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients.
• Mix with dressing, then sprinkle cranberries and sunflower seeds.
Pesto Pasta Salad
1 box (16 oz.) of pasta of your choice
1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced or 1 can of chopped and drained tomatoes
1/4 cup of diced red onion
1/8 cup chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 cup black olives of your choice (if large, cut in half)
1/4 toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 red peppers (jarred or fresh roasted)
1/4 cup basil pesto (fresh or jarred)
1 ½ cups oil-based dressing (jarred or fresh)
Seasoning to taste (equal parts salt, pepper and garlic powder
• Cook pasta is salted water, drain (do not rinse) and add the oil-based dressing or oil to the pasta.
• Add all other ingredients and mix and then refrigerate.
• You may wish to add some good plain olive oil before serving.
1 pound carrots, peeled
2 teaspoons Dijon or Champagne mustard
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons good quality honey
Heaping 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
• Grate the carrots in a food processor.
Set aside. (They can be done earlier in the day and put in a plastic bag.)
• In large bowl, combine the mustard, lemon juice, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper.
• Add the carrots, fresh parsley and shallots and toss well.
• Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
• Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Gluten-free Buffalo Chicken and Deviled Egg Salad
6 cups chopped lettuce
2 cups arugula or baby spinach
2 chicken breasts olive oil pepper and garlic salt to taste
5 tablespoons buffalo sauce
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 avocado, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
4 strips or well done and crumbled bacon
4 deviled eggs (Cut each deviled egg into fours pieces.)
(Follow your favorite recipe or mash boiled eggs with 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing and a small sprinkle of hot sauce)
1 head broccoli – cut into pieces
1/2 cup peanuts
1/2 cup raisins
1 small onion
2 tablespoons bacon bits
1/2 cup sugar
1/2-1 teaspoon curry
1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 c mayo
• Mix everything and chill before serving